I'm not well, where do I go?

Depending on your illness, there are different places you and your whānau can go for health care in Tairāwhiti.

Remember registering with a general practice is really important for you and your family. A GP can to develop a relationship with you and have a better understanding of your unique healthcare needs.

Self care

For example I have…  sore throat, grazed knee, cough…

For helpful medical advice go to the Health Navigator website, which has easy-to-read information on a wide range of health conditions including how to recognise symptoms and tips for prevention, self-care and treatment. Make sure you have a medicine cabinet with pain killers, plasters, and antiseptic cream. Go to your local pharmacy for medicine if needed.

You can also call Healthline to talk to a health professional 24/7 on 0800 611 116.


For example I have…  diarrhoea, runny nose, painful cough, headache…

For a list of pharmacies in Tairāwhiti, go to the find services directory here on our website.

Call your own general practice 

For example I have…  ear pain, vomiting, sore belly, backache, cuts, sprains, itchy rash, strain…

Unless it’s an emergency (when you should call 111), phone your usual general practice number when you or someone in your family is not feeling well.

For non-urgent health concerns, phone your general practice and book an appointment with your general practice team. 

If you are visiting Tairāwhiti and are not registered with a GP contact Three Rivers Medical, 75 Customhouse St, Gisborne, PHONE 06-867 7411

You can also call Healthline on 0800 611 116 to talk to a health professional. 

General practice

For example I have…  ear pain, vomiting, sore belly, backache, cuts, sprains, itchy rash, strain. I can wait 24 hours…

For non-urgent health concerns, phone your general practice and book an appointment with your general practice team. 

Urgent and after hours care

For example I have…  bad cuts, bad bites, or bad sprains. I’m feeling really sick, and I need help now…

Some general practices have extended opening hours, you can find phone numbers, opening hours and other details on our services directory page.

Emergency Department

For example I have… heavy bleeding, broken bones, bad burns, chest pain, trouble breathing…

In an emergency dial 111 and ask for “ambulance”.

The Emergency Department (ED) at Gisborne Hospital should be used in an emergency for critical or life-threatening situations.

If you cannot travel to the Emergency Department yourself, you should dial 111 and ask for an “ambulance”.

Last modified:

In this section

Our services