We provide assessment and education and management of Diabetes for those with Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes and Gestational Diabetes/Diabetes in Pregnancy.
Diabetes eye care- Retinal Screening as per referral.
Diabetes Podiatry for High Risk/Active foot Diabetes, foot complications and wound care clinic as per E-referral. We offer management treatment plans according to patient needs and referral for specialist treatment when required. We have outpatient diabetes clinics and also review patients that are in hospital, we receive referrals from Primary Care Doctors and nurses for people who have concerns with their diabetes and also have other medical conditions.
The Diabetes service can provide education for people/organisations in the community and their family/whānau that have diabetes.
Diabetes Clinical Nurse Specialists provide assessment, treatment, education and management plans, medication review and prescribe medication.
This service can be provided in the outpatient clinic/inpatient at the hospital, in the community, general practice, residential care homes, rural hospitals and home visits. Telehealth facilities are available.
We assist and manage Child/Adolescent and Adults with Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes and Gestational Diabetes and those with complications of Diabetes providing on-going education, self-management support and medical review.
We welcome any enquiries regarding Diabetes.
How to get in touch:
General enquires to Diabetes service at Gisborne Hospital. Tel: 06 86 90500 extension 8060
The Diabetes service is located in Tui Te Ora - Hauora Tairāwhiti/Gisborne Hospital
421 Ormond Road
Access to secondary care MDT is through appropriate eReferral or inpatient/hospital referral form:
All referrals below to include:
1. Type of Diabetes and date of diagnosis
2. Medication list
3. Diagnosis list
4. Most recent labs:Hba1c/Electrolyte/creatinine/CBC/ACR and MSU/TFTs/LFTs/Lipid profile(non-fasting)
5. The care plan initiated by General Practice team or referrer stating the treatment and medication currently
Exams and procedures:
- You will need to have had laboratory blood tests as per referral, and also required will be self-monitored glucose tests
- Height and Blood pressure
- Please come with Medications and have glucose meter and or logbook of glucose readings available
- Diet education and review
- Diabetes review, medication review
- Foot check/assessment wound management
- Green prescription referral
General enquires to Diabetes service Gisborne Hospital Hauora Tairawhiti
06 86 90500 extension 8060
We are based at Tui Te Ora Hauora Tairawhiti/Gisborne Hospital
421 Ormond Road